Celebrating the 4th of July this weekend? So are we! There’s nothing better than a summertime soiree with friends and family, complete with sparklers and fireworks. If you’re hosting, how do you make your party stand out from the crowd? Ditch the kitsch and host an Independence Day affair to remember. There’s no reason a backyard celebration can’t be elegant and swoon-worthy for guests of all ages. Here are our top tips for elevating your patriotic style.
- Simplify: whittle down your décor list to the essentials. A gauzy white runner over a picturesque farm table doesn’t need much other than a pretty centerpiece. It’s tempting to go overboard with patriotic décor, but a simplified theme will actually result in a more sophisticated setting. Think about which elements truly add to your overall theme, and nix the elements that don’t contribute something essential or special.
- Whites everywhere: make white the prominent color in your patriotic scheme. Elegant white florals, linens, and dinnerware will set a soft backdrop to the entire scene. It will be easy to add pops of color without sacrificing a cohesive look across the board.
- Mature accent colors: for an elevated look, tweak bright reds and blues to more elegant tones. Bring bright reds down to a rich burgundy, and bright blues to a deep navy. These darker tones will have a more grown-up feel overall, while keeping a patriotic theme.
- Florals: a quintessential component of any stylish soiree, choose florals that speak to an elegant atmosphere. Refer back to tip #2… all-white centerpieces can be a very sophisticated choice. We love big blooms, especially tied with ribbons in those mature accent colors we mentioned. To make centerpieces slightly more casual (but still utterly elegant), take a less-structured approach. Mix greens and twigs into a loosely crafted arrangement to kick the texture up a notch.
- Real cups: we know it’s tempting to break out the plastic for backyard gatherings… but for a chic event, only glass will do! Keep cocktails served in real drinking glasses to maintain sophisticated style.
- Have fun! Last but not least, don’t get too caught up in all the details… your occasion will surely be beautiful, but it’s the people attending that matter most. Allow yourself a break from hostessing to simply enjoy the company of your guests. You deserve a moment to savor your hard work!
We hope you all enjoy the holiday and the long weekend. May your festivities be sophisticated and fun! We’d love to see your décor ideas and pretty tablescapes.
We would like to take a moment to honor our country’s heroes… we would not be celebrating this occasion without your sacrifice. Thank you for your service. We wish you all the best, and a happy July 4th from The White Sparrow.