Here at the White Sparrow’s Dallas barn venue, flowers are our best friend. We absolutely love floral arrangements—everything from oversized blooms to dainty flower crowns and every bud in between. Flowers are the perfect pop of color against our photo-ready whitewashed walls, and our florists never disappoint. We love it all… buds tucked into boho braids, flower curtains decking the wall, and organic bouquets bursting with vibrant personality. But how is a bride supposed to know which florist has what it takes to bring her wedding dreams to life? We have a few guideline questions for scoping out the perfect florist for your big day:
- Are they quick to respond? We find this to be a general marker of a great vendor, in any category. If your potential florist is quick to get back to you, take it as a primary indicator that they are on top of their game and ready to accommodate you. If they take a long time to reply to your inquiry, be cautious: they may be overworked already, or not focused on customer service (which is simply a must-have when you’re talking about a wedding).
- Do their photos look like a wedding day that would impress you? Not every bride in your florist’s photos will have the same taste that you do… but would their weddings impress you, even if it’s not your own style? The colors or selections may not all be the look you’re going for, but if you can still appreciate the overall feel of their wedding, chances are the florist can create the same cohesion for your own style. Look for florists that have varied portfolios—a sign that they have crafted each floral scheme to the bride’s specification.
- How do they use texture? Look at a range of floral pieces on your florist’s website… are their bouquets artfully arranged? Do the tablescapes have varying levels of texture? Keep an eye out for unique additions (like magnolia leaves tucked into a big blooming bunch of peonies, or cotton twigs artfully mixed into an autumn centerpiece) that take floral arrangements to the next level.
- Can you give them a “do’s & dont’s” list? Ask your potential florist if they will accept a “do’s & don’ts” list. If you just so happen to despise cascading greenery, or simply adore
- Can they provide a mockup? Photos can only do so much. To get a real feel for the texture and tangible delicacy of your bouquet or centerpieces, you’ll want to see a mockup arrangement. A florist who can provide this is a step above the rest! Do keep in mind: flowers are finicky depending on season. You may have to use similar blooms to fill in the gaps if your desired flowers are not in season when the mockup is created.
- Can they provide a detailed quote? This is an absolute must—for every vendor. Know your budget, and make sure your florist can work within it. You don’t want any surprise fees before the big day arrives.
- Can your order be flexible up to a certain date? When it comes to wedding planning, flexibility is the name of the game. You may have a bridesmaid who is suddenly unable to attend, or the guest list could wind up being larger than you anticipated. Can your florist roll with the punches? Be sure he/she is ready to accommodate last-minute changes up to a certain point before the wedding.
There you have it! Selecting a florist is easy with these questions in mind. Of course, we work with florists often and would be more than happy to recommend a vendor to you. Our Dallas barn venue has quite a few connections in the DFW area, and we’re confident that there is a florist out there with the perfect personality for your big day. Just get in touch if we can be of assistance in this area—or any other! Don’t forget to check out floral trends we love and wedding florals beyond the bouquet that express your style.
“The Earth laughs in flowers.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson