Rustic weddings are pulling on everyone’s heartstrings these days. From swoon-worthy boots to feminine lace dresses, there’s a lot to adore about country-inspired nuptials. But the real reason for this theme’s rise in popularity lies at the heart of rustic weddings: the perfect combination of countryside charm and wedding day elegance.
A rustic wedding allows you to host the sophisticated event of your dreams in a more relaxed setting where everyone feels comfortable celebrating together. If you’re looking for the middle ground between casual countryside charm and tasteful elegance, add these top 10 rustic wedding must-haves to your ceremony—it will be an occasion you and your guests will never forget.
10. Cake: These days, anything goes… so pick what you love. A casual bride might opt for the on-trend “naked cakes” with no icing, while a more formal fianceé might prefer a traditional embellished white cake. Both look great against the backdrop of a rustic wedding venue, and have added charm when placed atop vintage crystal or natural wood rings.
*Added bonus: your wedding is about you. If cakes aren’t your style, select a dessert display with any delectable treat you like. Make sure you enjoy taste testing all your options first!
9. Blooms: Select flowers that will complement your rustic wedding venue. Simple blooms let your venue speak for itself. Summery sunflowers pair well with a casual atmosphere, and have added countryside charm when arranged in a mason jar. Succulents are all the rage, and keep a graceful natural palette. For a more formal look, you can’t go wrong with baby’s breath (Queen Anne’s lace)—a country wildflower turned into a classic bouquet.
8. Signature Drinks: whether you’re serving a special sweet tea and lemonade concoction, or something a little stronger, guests are sure to enjoy sipping on a specialty signature drink. Ask your caterers if they have any crowd-pleasing cocktails available, or craft a signature mixed drink after your own taste. You can take it a step further by giving your one-of-a-kind drink a name (or His + Hers drinks to boot). Of course, any drink can be served in the quintessential rustic glass: a mason jar!
*Added bonus: limiting your bar to beer, wine, and a signature drink can help cut costs if you’re looking for places to trim down your budget.
7. Tablescapes: Your rustic wedding venue atmosphere will look complete with table decorations that pull details together. Burlap runners, beautiful florals, and gorgeous place settings will set the mood for the affair. Give your guests a personalized treat with unique custom place cards.
6. Rustic Signs: We’re in love with the custom-lettered signage trend. Direct guests to their seats with wooden signs, or have your custom menu calligraphed on chalkboard. Either way, custom signs add a personal touch to your ceremony that you and your guests will adore.
5. Unique Rustic Props: invest in one or two wow-factor props that will truly amaze your guests. Give your friends and family something to gawk over at the reception…whether it’s a vintage Chevy getaway truck, antique furniture rentals, or junkyard marquee letters monogram. We’ve seen everything from a horse-drawn carriage exit to a cake display in front of an airstream camper.
*Added bonus: these rustic props tend to make perfect photo ops. With a rustic theme, the possibilities are endless!
4. Lighting: Add an enchanting touch to your rustic wedding venue with romantic string lights (indoor and/or out). This is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to set the mood with pretty illumination. If you’re looking for more of a statement piece, scope out vintage chandeliers for unforgettable luminosity. Don’t forget the most important lighting: natural sunlight. Select a rustic wedding venue that takes advantage of natural lighting that opens up a space, and lends itself to stunning photos.
3. Texture: Rustic weddings are ripe with opportunity to layer textures for a finished style. Combine burlap and lace, wood and ribbon, or even galvanized metal and pretty petals.
2. Dress: No wedding day would be complete without the dress of your dreams! A rustic wedding doesn’t have to dictate your wedding dress style. Traditional lace dresses work just as well against a rustic backdrop as a simple sundress. Go with what makes you feel most beautiful on your special day.
1. Venue: Venue choices are important for any theme… but for rustic weddings, the venue is everything. Your props, tablescapes, and signs will only work when tied together by a venue that fits your style. Let all the details come together under one roof in a space that encapsulates rustic charm. Look for venues with an open, airy barn space that will let all your carefully selected details shine.
Practicality also plays in important role in selecting a rustic wedding venue. Is it close enough to accommodations for your guests? Does it have amenities for a reception? Is there an outdoor area for guests to enjoy before the ceremony? Consider all sides of the equation before selecting your site, then book with the venue that fits just right.
Needless to say, a breathtaking venue lays the groundwork for a breathtaking wedding! We invite you to visit The White Sparrow Barn, a venue lovingly built with rustic weddings in mind. Our barn and its surrounding grounds will bring all your wedding details together, in that perfect spot between rustic charm and traditional elegance.